For gluten-free, use gluten-free flour. This recipe makes eight pancakes.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon natural sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a blender, combine the milk, apple juice, almond butter, and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Pour into the flour mixture, stirring with a few swift strokes until just moist. Fold in the chopped apple and almonds.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Lightly oil a griddle or non- stick skillet and heat until hot. Ladle about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle or skillet. Cook on one side until small bubbles appear on the top of the pancakes, about 2 minutes.
- Flip the pancakes with a spatula and cook until the second side is lightly browned, about 1 minute longer. Repeat with the remaining batter. Keep the cooked pancakes warm in the oven while preparing the remaining pancakes.
From Nut Butter Universe by Robin Robertson. ©2013 Robin Robertson. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press. Photo by Lori Maffei.