- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 medium green onions, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika (pimentón)
- 5 cups chicken-style vegan broth
- 1 (29-ounce) can (3 1/2 cups) golden or white hominy, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups reconstituted soy curls (4 ounces or 3 cups dry); or 16 ounces seitan, cut into strips
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes and juice or sauce
- 1 small chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
- garnishes (all or a few): tortilla chips; avocado
cubes tossed in lemon or lime juice; chopped sweet onion; vegan sour cream; shredded savoy cabbage; sliced radishes; chopped cucumbers; toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas); shredded vegan cheese; chopped red bell pepper; sliced hot chiles; lime wedges
Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the green onions, garlic, cumin, and smoked paprika. Sauté until the onion are wilted. Add the broth, hominy, Soy Curls or seitan, tomatoes, and chipotle. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in the cilantro. Ladle the soup into large bowls and serve hot with the garnishes.
From World Vegan Feast by Bryanna Clark Grogan. ©2011 Bryanna Clark Grogan. Used by permission from Vegan Heritage Press.
Follow Vegan Heritage Press: Facebook • Twitter • Pinterest